Recipe Collab with @cookinlikeag
Who needs a California roll when you can pack on the spicy, sweet, citrusy goodness with G’s Tropical Hamachi Blue Crab Sushi? I wanted to create a sushi roll that was refreshing and light for summer but also highlighted one of Dry Dock Fish’s newest menu additions… Hamachi!! So here we have it folks, the sushi roll that you didn’t realize you needed in your life and I promise you will always crave. I bet millions that you’ll never find a roll this good with locally sourced and seasonal ingredients at your standard sushi spot too, which just means even more reason to try out the recipe this weekend… just wait until that first bite!
What you’ll need
- 1/2 lb of Blue Crab meat
- 2 tbsp Organic Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Chile Powder
- 1/2 Cilantro, chopped
- 2 Limes, zested and juiced
- 1 Cup cooked Sushi Rice
- 3 Sheets Sushi Nori
- 1 Ripe Mango. 1/2 batonnet cut & thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb of Hamachi Sashimi, thinly sliced
- 1 Avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 Jalapeno, thinly sliced
- A handful of radish or wasabi microgreens
- 1/4 cup masago or caviar
- Optional garnish: thinly sliced lime & radish
- Combine blue crab, mayonnaise, chile powder, cilantro, juice from 1 lime, and a sprinkle of salt. Taste and adjust – adding more lime juice, chile powder, and/or cilantro depending on flavor preference. Turn rice on to steam per package directions.
- On a clean, dry cutting board, place the nori, shiny side down and with the long side closest to you. Spread the sticky sushi rice evenly on the nori, leaving a 1/2-inch border across the top. Flip the nori over so the rice side is facing down, and the nori side is facing up. With the long side still closest to you, arrange batonnet cut mango slices and a 1/2 inch thick row of the crab mixture across the bottom one-third of the roll. Complete by rolling up very tightly and ending with the seam side down on the cutting board. Lay alternating thin slices of mango, avocado, and hamachi on top of the tightly rolled sushi.
- Cut a piece of plastic wrap and place a bamboo sushi rolling mat. Place sushi in the middle of plastic wrap and lift plastic wrap to cover the entire sushi roll. Using the bamboo rolling mat, lift over the plastic-wrapped sushi and press down tightly, pulling towards you, ensuring the sushi is compactly rolled with mango, avocado, and hamachi on top.
- Remove the plastic wrap and using a sharp knife, cut into 8 equal slices.
- To serve, arrange the sushi slices on a plate. Layer the top of the sushi with microgreens, masago, jalapeño, lime zest, thinly sliced lime, and/or radish. Enjoy 🙂